Why do we need Security on University Campuses?
The most recent crime statistics released in the UK show a table of Universities and the crime rates for Burglary, Robbery, Violent or Sexual Crime, Bike Theft or Theft of other items, it gives a clear picture of the safety of each campus and most of the London universities are performing well.
There are huge regional variances and it looks like the inner-city campuses in Birmingham have some of the worse crime figures in the UK.
We currently work with a London university that prioritises the safety of its staff, students, and visitors by ensuring there employ well-trained SIA security staff on campus.
Campus security encompasses a range of solutions which include physical guards, supported by CCTV, well-lit walkways between buildings, and the use of ID for staff and students to access the university. Using physical guarding as part of site security provides reassurance to staff and students that they have someone to refer to as well as a qualified guard to call on if there is an incident.
The benefits of physical guarding will include:
- Manned Guarding services are one of the strongest deterrents to criminal activities.
- Onsite security reassures visitors to the campus and staff will feel like they are in safe hands, it also helps to support staff morale.
- Immediacy of response
- Working alongside the facilities team with building locks and unlocks.
- Using Dog handlers can support drug detection and supporting zero tolerance of drugs on campus.
- SIA Door Supervisors will also be able to provide First Aid support.
With so many high-profile cases of missing people in the media over recent months, students and parents will review campus security as part of their criteria for choosing a university.
Our team at Axiom take all of our security applications through a thorough screening process to BS 7858 standards.
If you looking to employ or increase your team of security guards on campus, we have a specialist recruitment team, who have industry security experience and can talk you through our screening process, get in touch today for an initial dialogue.