The Role of Recruitment Agencies in Addressing the Skills Shortage in Construction & Property
The construction and property industry is facing a major skills shortage. This is due to several factors, including:
- The ageing workforce: The average age of construction workers in the UK is 45, and many are nearing retirement. The UK is expected to need an additional 225,000 construction workers by 2027 to meet existing construction demands.
- The lack of apprenticeships: The number of apprenticeships in construction has declined in recent years. Apprenticeship starts for 2022/23 are down by almost 5% year on year, although construction is bucking the trend with an increase of 6000 new starts in July 2022.
- The competition from other industries: Other industries, such as technology and engineering, face skills shortages and compete with construction for talent.
The skills shortage is having a significant impact on the construction and property industry. It is making it difficult for companies to find the workers they need to complete projects on time and within budget. It is also leading to higher wages and a shortage of housing.
Recruitment agencies can play a key role in addressing the skills shortage in construction and property. They can:
- Help companies to identify the skills they need.
- Source and pre-screen candidates.
- Negotiate salaries and terms of employment.
- Provide support and advice to candidates and employers.
By working with recruitment agencies, construction and property companies can have a better chance of finding the skilled workers they need to succeed.
Here are some specific examples of how recruitment agencies are helping to address the skills shortage in construction and property:
- A recruitment agency in the UK has partnered with a construction company to create a training program for apprentices. The program provides apprentices with the skills they need to work in the construction industry, and it also helps to ensure that they are a good fit for the company.
- A recruitment agency in the US has developed a software platform that helps construction companies to find and hire skilled workers. The platform uses artificial intelligence to match candidates with open positions, and it also provides companies with insights into the construction labour market.
- A recruitment agency in Australia has launched a campaign to encourage women to consider careers in construction. The campaign includes a website, social media, and events.
These are just a few examples of how recruitment agencies are helping to address the skills shortage in construction and property. As the skills shortage continues to grow, recruitment agencies will play an increasingly important role in helping the industry to thrive.
In addition to the above, recruitment agencies can also help to address the skills shortage in construction and property by:
- Working with schools and colleges to promote careers in construction and property.
- Developing training programs for existing employees.
- Supporting the development of new technologies and techniques that can make construction more efficient.
- Advocating for policies that support the construction industry.
By taking these steps, recruitment agencies can help ensure that the construction and property industry has the skilled workers it needs to meet future demands.